Tuesday 23 December 2014

MAKING CHANGES

It's the night before the night before Christmas and the wind is howling outside my newly acquired apartment; I am in a contemplative mood. For Rob and I moved out almost a month ago now, him from a shared place and me from hotel mum and dad. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved living at home, I just, well like many people in their mid-twenties I just really needed a space of my own. 

There's been some advantages (me-space, staying up and doing what I like) and disadvantages (I've never cleaned so much, washed up so much stuff) and some entirely new experiences (I never thought I'd care if the rug was slightly as quiff!) Generally I feel happy, I feel peaceful. It has got me thinking about my lifestyle in general. At college I lived with what I had, at uni I spent lots a lot of the time, now I live to my means, which are by no means great or vast. 
I get by.

Recently I've found pleasures in making things, recycling things and being generally more eco-friendly.
No this is isn't a rant of a post, I'm not going to tell you how you should live. This is just me personally. I've never been one for wanting of riches, mansions and expensive cars. I'd rather live in a tree house and watch the stars every night, eating wild berries and wander round barefoot.
Maybe one day I will.

Generally running water, heating and somewhere to keep food fresh are also important on my living needs; so we found ourselves a beautiful two bedroom apartment. It's perfect for the two of us and seeing as that's how we intend our lives to stay for a while (at least) it feels like the perfect little home. 

I wanted a first floor place as I like to feel close to the stars. Rob wanted a garden to spend time in, in the summer. If you'd told me two months ago we'd have found our perfect place with both of those things checked, I'd not have believed you.
It's close to the near town and only a ferry trip from the nearest city. 

I decided that this little space, it's perfect for a variety of reasons. It's small so I don't feel lost in a huge space I'll never use. It's affordable for living and heating and it doesn't take me an entire day to clean it. (Despite the fact I've developed a need to constantly clean.)

I wanted to go further than not having too much space, than keeping utilities low (ish), I wanted to create a cosy, comfortable, welcoming home whilst remaining economically friendly.
I've taken to recycling glass jars and using them for flower pots, candle holders, potpourri holders, utensil holders and general storage of foods.
We've been lucky to be given pre-loved blankets, pillows, cushions and throws, it's only awakened the pleasure of treasure hunting in thrift/charity stores. 
I've decided for 2015 I'm going to post about my DIY/ Recycling moments, my treasure hunts and my little home. It's my way of actively pursuing a more eco-friendly lifestyle. Since we've been  recycling goods, we've used less rubbish, we've not bought much stuff at all and it feels like the start of a wonderful adventure. 

One of my resolutions for 2015 is to purchase only things of need new, everything else shall be pre-loved, recycled, thrifted or handmade. I aim to support local business', independent business' and create as much myself as I can.

I'm also on the lookout for ideas and inspiration, do you live to only your means? Do you have great tips for recycling, thrifting or even creating things for you and your home? Perhaps you know of a blogger or someone who does; feel free to leave a comment with their or your link. I'm certainly keen to chat more about this with like minded people. 

LOVE & PEACE

KG

LITTLEBEARWOLFCOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment