Tuesday 24 June 2014

♬ ☾ L I G H T // O F // M Y // L I F E ☾ ♬

Aloha,

  On Tuesday 24 June 2014 at 1:10pm, Walter Whitfield first of his name passed away. Born in 1921 in England; Walter lived a full life accomplishing many things and raising a large family who have all gone on to raise children of their own. He was more than a man who had accomplished much, he was my grandad.
  Grandad a few years back you made me a family tree, I've kept that document and added to it in recent times. You told me that getting old was a part of life and rather than fear death, I should look to what I can achieve in life.

  So today as I stare out across the sunlit sky, with not a cloud to be seen. The trees and flowers in full bloom, the sea sparkling the bluest silver i've seen it in a long time, I have these words to say.
'Time borrowed is now being repayed, a debt we will all pay. Time is precious and will pass regardless of our actions. You lived a full life, achieving much and giving your family everything you had. We live our lives because you gave our parents life. There are enough of us to count as a small colony and though we cover all corners of the map, we are a tightly bound family that puts love and family first'.

  When I was about seven, I was terrified of a ghost a kid at school had told me about. I wouldn't go to sleep. You picked me up in your arms and told me that I needed to forget all of that, that no ghost was going to come for me. I shut my eyes as tightly as I could and when I woke up it was morning. To that day when things have scared me, I have shut my eyes and thought of that memory. I've opened my eyes and told myself that I would not be finished by this thing that now frightened me.

  You told me that I was my mothers daughter and that made you proud; you said I was creative, that I had a good strong head on my shoulders. You shed a tear and said that I should look out for her because though she's strong in spirit, she needs her family. That's never been more true today and I am now a woman, I cry when I am sad but I also support those close to me when they too are suffering.

  To my aunties, uncles, cousins, those I see from time to time and those I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting. You're all in my thoughts. I love each and everyone of you, though some of you I may not know as well as others. I am proud of all the things you achieve, I love seeing your photos and your updates on my social media feed. I remember when we would run around village halls playing games and finding mischief at every corner. It feels like three lifetimes ago now, but never forgotten.

  Though I feel extremely sad today, I feel blessed to have a large family that even though we don't all see each other we still care. For that reason grandad, I know you'd tell me not to mourn a life lost, but to celebrate the life that was given. Beneath your strong and wise exterior was a softer nature and I am inspired and in respect of both men. I am proud of all you brought to this world. I only hope that one day my journey will have been as long and well lived as yours.

  So I look now to the future, people tend to forget that we live on a ball of rock hurtling a million miles a minute through our solar system. That ancient civilisations have risen and fallen in time. We get caught up in our shoe box scenario's but today I am aware of the universe and all the stars and the people that cover this planet. I hope wherever you are now, looking over us that you are at peace. Rest In Peace Grandad. Sleep well.

Love Krystal Gemma ☾ ♬

No comments:

Post a Comment