Tuesday 15 July 2014

WHAT KG WORE #1



  If you had asked me a just over a year ago what kind of closet I wanted; I would have told you I wanted a room I could walk into that were filled with lovely clothes and accessories. Fast forward to today and the answer could not be more different.

  So what changed in a year? Well I quit my job working in fashion management; I no longer needed to keep my employers happy with wearing all the latest trends. (For the record this resulted in a near panic attack every time a new trend emerged in our deliveries that I would have to a. Afford to buy and b. Convince myself I looked nice in.)

  Along with quitting my job, I broke up with my boyfriend (this caused more emotional stress and not wanting to get dressed up as all I really wanted to do was throw everything out and start over) and then I also moved back in with my parents. (Goodbye independence and personal space)
  I removed all mirrors from my bedroom (my mum has an obsession with antique mirrors; I figured the ones covering the rest of the rooms in the house were enough of a reminder to what I looked like).
  After a month of creating the biggest mess in my life, I started to crawl towards getting my life on track. This last year and a half has been my happiest but toughest. As I continue to move forward, I find daily challenges and obstacles to overcome. 

  One of those has been my personal image, the way I see myself, the way I am perceived by others. I had a number of closets packed full with beautiful clothes (most of which had never even been worn).  I didn’t really care that I had not worn them, just that I owned them. If I saw something I liked I had to own it. I liked having the most clothes out of all my friends. Yet it didn’t make me happy. It didn’t help me survive; it certainly didn’t help my financial situation.
   I liked knowing that I had almost as many clothes as the ‘celebrities’ I admired. I liked knowing that whatever the trend or weather I had something pretty & ready to wear (despite the fact I lived in the same few outfits).

  After breaking free from my previous life choices, the clothes were one of the things playing on my mind. I had all these beautiful clothes that were not fulfilling their fashion destiny. There were people in the world with not even clothes to cover their backs and I had closets full of things I would neither part with nor wear. Horrid. 

  That’s when I started to clear my closet. If I didn’t love it, it had to go. To charity, to friends, to sell, wherever it could best be used.
  I no longer enjoy days of shopping, in fact I tend to only shop now if it’s something I need. I only buy things that I need or will use ALOT. I tend not to buy throwaway fashion anymore because a. It doesn’t last. B. You end up looking the same as every other Joe average.  C. I was finally starting to find my own style, which wasn’t trying to keep up with wearing the latest trends. D. I don’t agree with forcing people to make millions of items a day for us to buy and throw away as we wish when there are people in the world that could really benefit from those clothes.

   I still have items from high st shops in my closet and it’s not that I never buy clothes. It’s just that I’m finding my own style and more cautious over the items I purchase these days.
  I love seeing the clothes my friends and fashion bloggers have been buying and wearing, it’s not that I don’t like fashion. I love fashion. I just know what I’m looking for in my own style and what I feel comfortable in. 

  These posts ‘WHATKGWORE’ are simply that journey put into pictures and words to share with you. Perhaps you are on your own style adventure or perhaps you like having lots of clothes and wear them too, feel free to share your fashion/style ideals with me in the comments below the post.
  Alternatively I have started to sell various items from my closet that I still love but don’t wear very often. Items that I have worn a few times but not worn again and items I have worn lots but feel someone else could now benefit from. If you would like to browse these items you can do so on my Depop page. I don’t accept swaps as I’m not looking to build my closet anymore but if you have something you feel I may be interested in I’m always willing to take a look.


  Feel free to check out the rest of my features and my music blog LITTLEBEARWOLF. I’ll be sharing my adventures here as I live each day and keep focusing on the happy things. I was down for a long time until I overhauled my life to feel happy with my choices. I know it will be a while yet until I am where I want to be but I know that I’m moving towards that and I’m happier now.


LOVE&PEACE
 
LITTLEBEARWOLFCOVE
KG
Images / content belong to their respective owners. 
LITTLEBEARWOLFCOVE © - Krystal Gemma


No comments:

Post a Comment